While life got in the way for me to attend ISTE this year and present on the Global Read Aloud, I cannot help but think what I would do if I were there.
So if I were at ISTE, I would
- Probably be totally overwhelmed but loving every minute of it. Big crowds, many people, millions of things to learn = brain overload.
- Meet as many people as I could and not just the “important” ones. There seems to be a sort of twitlebrity thing going on at huge conferences which I find odd. Everyone that you meet could be the next big thing so why not treat them that way?
- Talk less, listen more… I mean actually listen, not just pretend to listen until it is my turn to talk. (Thank you Jen)
- Go to sessions I know nothing about. I tend to go to things that I kind of know something about but I think this time it would be all about discovering the unknown.
- Go to hear about things I don’t agree with. I admit that I often shelter myself from opposing viewpoints once I have formed an opinion, after all, I am merely human, but here would be m opportunity to go and listen to why people do some things that I would never ever do.
- Say thank you to the people who create the things I use. Thank you to KidBlog for creating the best blogging platform for my students, thank you to SimpleK12 for believing in me, to Edutopia for giving us all a platform to share, to Edmodo for making the behind the scens stuff so easy to do for the Global Read Aloud.
- Be telling people about the Global Read Aloud. I am so proud of this project and how it has grown that I just have to share it with everyone I meet.
- Find some alone time. I know that seems counterintuitive to my being overwhelmed comment but sometimes we need to take the time to just think and digest while we are in action.
- Remember why I came; to connect and to learn and to be myself. I think sometimes when I meet people I think I need to be something I am not, so this for me would be my chance to be exactly who I am; an extroverted introvert who laughs at strange things and has a strange sense of humor.
- Find as many as my #WIAmigos as I possibly can. What can I say bit that they are good group to hang out with!
If you are at ISTE what would you do?