So I present to you the arguments I have come across when I hear negative talk of female principals running a school:
- Women are ruled by their emotions and we all know how women get when they have PMS.
- Women tend to cause more drama, not able to distinguish between fairness and friendship.
- All those women in a school need a strong male role model to be ruled by.
- All those boys in our schools need a strong role model to look up to it.
- Women may be good at organizing but they are much too nice to make hard decisions.
- Demanding parents will be able to run a female principal right over.
And this isn’t a single person voicing these opinions; this is permeated into the general school culture. Why else do we not hear these types of blanket statements made about male principals? What is holding all of us organized, fair, capable women back from being principals? Are we just too nice to hold a position of power or will our emotions truly get the better of us? Please enlighten me so we can stop the nonsense.