My Student Questionnaire for Beginning of Year

My old student questionnaire

Since I will be traveling quite a bit in August, I am getting my papers in order for the beginning of the year and stumbled upon my standard student questionnaire in a folder.  Once I glanced at it I realized how it was in need of a serious revamping and thus asked my PLN for must ask questions for this document.  Thank you so much to everyone who inspired me!

Here is a link to the Google Doc – feel free to make a copy and make it your own.

Here are just the questions (for the actual survey go to the link) that I will be using that first week of school to get to know the kids better.

1. What are the three most important things I should know about you?
  1. What are things you are really good at?
  1. What are you most proud of?
  1. What is the favorite thing you did this summer?
  1. What have you most loved learning (even if not in school)?  Why?
  1. What’s your favorite thing to do when you’re not in school?
  1. What is the best book or books you have ever read?
  1. What do you want to learn HOW to do?
  1. I think 5th grade will be….
  1. What do you love about school?
  1. What do you not like about school?
  1. I work best in a classroom that is….
  1. Some things I really want to to work on this year in 5th grade are….
  1. What are things you cannot wait to do this year?
  1. I learn best when the teacher is….
  1. What do you know about Mrs. Ripp?

About these ads

22 thoughts on “My Student Questionnaire for Beginning of Year

1. Amy says:

Awesome! Thank you!! This will definitely be used during the first week of school.(BTW – while changing the grade level and name I noticed that #13 has a type "I really want to to")

2. Amy Musone says:

Pernille,
    In doing this you are letting your students know that you are interested in them…that you care about who they are and what they are curious about. Thanks for sharing!

3. […] My Student Questionnaire for Beginning of Year | The Passionate Learner […]

4. Lisa Smith says:

Thanks for sharing. Very comprehensive and student focused.

Lisa

5. I like to ask students to list the people who live with them. What is the relationship and ALL the phone numbers. Many students do not live with their parents these days.

Another good question is “How often do you eat a meal with your whole family?”

6. I love this, Pernille. I wondered, though, whether you offer your answers to these questions with your students. If so, how do you do this?

Also, do the answers only go to you or do your students share answers with each other as well?

Thanks.

7. This is such a great idea. What really pushed me to comment was your use of “PLN”- is that from Terry Pratchett’s A Hat Full of Sky? My husband and I always use that reference. I love that you use it too =D

8. Ok, the well it depends on the question. The kids will all fill out the form for me to have and then later in the year we may revisit some of the questions through a blog post or a discussion. Also, during the first week we do have group conversations and private conversations regarding some of their answers. I mostly do the questionnaire to get to know them a little and have a place to start with them. I don’t know if that answers your question, Cathy.

9. Danna Yeager says:

Thanks Pernille! I am so stealing this. You inspire me!

10. […] My old student questionnaireSince I will be traveling quite a bit in August, I am getting my papers in order for the beginning of the year and stumbled upon my standard student questionnaire in a f…  […]

11. Paul Ingram says:

In the first week of school I assign “In a thousand words”
    The students are to find a caring adult and have that adult write about the student.
    The actual assessment paper says, “In a thousand words or less please describe this young learner.”
    I also tell the students that if the adult does not complete the homework the student will get to decide on the appropriate consequences.
    I get a 80% – 90% completion rate and parents (caregivers) love to have a chance to talk about their child.

12. Greg Sheremeta says:

Paul – I do “In A Million Words or less” the first day of school and it assigned as homework for the adult with whom they live.

13. Therese Tibbits says:

Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing. I too, would love to see your Parent Questionnaire. I am starting my first Middle School reading class this week. Definitely using this student questionnaire.

14. maruchka says:

Thank you very much indeed for sharing! I am inspired, and will definitely be using this questionnaire :)

15. Have you ever thought about publishing an ebook or guest authoring on other blogs?
    I have a blog based on the same ideas you discuss and would
    love to have you share some stories/information. I know my viewers
    would enjoy your work. If you’re even remotely
    interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.

16. […] My Student Questionnaire for Beginning of Year | The Passionate Learner […]